Thursday, May 23, 2013

Comics: Horror Asylum ~ Issue 1: Sweet Child of Mine

Illustration and Story by: Jake Vicente
Ink Jinks Comics
(5/5 ★★★)


Ink Jinks Comics, a new group that I had stumbled upon last Summer Komikon 2013. It's the title and the cover of Horror Asylum which drew my attention to their table. As I checked their facebook account, I sensed that their group offer stories of a wide variety. However, they intend I think of having their art drawn in manga style. Well as long as the story and the art fits with each other I have no problem in that kind of comic book.

"Two fugitives ventured out in the dark woods to escape from the prison watch dogs. Exhausted, the two fugutives went deeper and found a hut, but what would they expect from someone living in the middle of the forest??"


Horror Asylum is an interesting series that the group published. At first I thought it would be something like the movies Saw or Hostel only it was comic book form, but of course I was wrong. I just got the impression due to the title and its creepy cover. Well, before anything else, I'd say I love the paper and the printer these guys used in printing their comics. These are actually the kind of paper that I've been always looking for to use in photocopying handouts and other stuffs. I can say they've been using a good kind of paper and also a nice printer for publishing these comics. Now with the story, I'd say the first issue was a good start for this series. It was not that scary but still its fine. On page 3 though of the comic on of the panels there, I found the inclusion of the usual "corny" Filipino joke of using lyrics in a song as a joke in order to steer for a slight second the topic, which usually happens inf the conversation was a serious one, to be not fitting. Then on the 20th page, o wait there's none, or at least on my copy. I wish though it would have been a good ending to the story to have on the last page (page 20) to have the scene like zooming out of the nipa hut while screams continue. Well that's just my opinion. Now with the illustration I'd say it was good except for some panels, i guess the artist just needs to improve drawing the characters when they are facing a different angle. But so far as with the rest of the art, I'd say it was good. I also liked the concept on the cover of their comic book with the front and the back changing as to signify the changing of a character in the story.

So far, I could still say that Horror Asylum is an interesting series from Ink Jink Comics. Hope it continues to deliver good short 20 pages stories and a little improvement on drawing the characters on certain angles.

Note: Some of the images were taken from the net, while the others were just a photo from my copy since I couldn't find them uploaded on the internet.

He can be seen at:

The group can be seen at:
Facebook Page: "inkjinks"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...