Monday, May 11, 2015

Comics: The Daily Dose ~ Issue 1

Illustrated and Story by: Carma
Bulletpaper Comix
(5/5 ★★★)


The Plot:
Dr. Michael D. Aguila (or Dr. Eagle for nurse Julie) is a consultant on infectious diseases, who is on his first day as a medical officer at Odeon Medical Center (OMC). Surrounded by nurses who are certified and authorized to do some of the doctor's job, work does seem easier for the doctors here in this hospital.

The Good:
The illustrations were drawn really great. All those emotions that could be seen in the characters' faces are a treat to the eyes as they help in telling the story.

The story of Dr. Aguila's first day at OMC, is nicely written. It holds a pretty interesting case full of quick facts. A fast and short lecture about the two types of rabies are nicely written and presented in the patient's case.

There's a couple of great inserts in this comic. These are the Word of the Day section and a page dedicated to the definition of the medical terms used in the story. These trivia items are nice and helpful for those who are not in the medical field. The two one-page cases at the end of the story were also great and funny to read.

The Bad:
It will be quite challenging to market this comic to others due to the theme of the story. It might take awhile to get non-health care related comic readers to get hooked on this type of story.

The Verdict:
I must say that this is a great random indie comic pick for me last Komikon 2014. It was the cover of this comic that got my attention into looking for it in the indie komiks tiangge.

As part of the medical profession, it really surpassed my expectations for this comic. I had never expected a nice case to be neatly written out in this type of medium. I guess this is because of the things that I expected from Callous comics were better shown here in The Daily Dose. However, I still think Callous comics has good stories, it just bears a different approach in comparison to this.

Well I'm in for The Daily Dose. I just wished I had been the one to make this so I could have published it in our medical school paper.

"Could it be fate that brought me here?
Must it be my call?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...