Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Comics: Ten Grand ~ Issue 2 (Cover Review)

Cover A: Ben Templesmith
Cover B: Bill Sienkiewicz

(Cover A on the left, Cover B on the right)

Story by: J. Michael Straczynski
Illustrated by: Ben Templesmith
Rated: M / Mature
Joe's Comics
Image Comics

I finally got the other cover for the 2nd issue of Ten Grand. For the 2nd issue, the two different covers were made by Ben Templesmith and Bill Sienkiewicz. The first cover that I was able to purchase was Cover B, which I had used to make the review for the 2nd issue of this comic. It took several weeks before I finally stumbled upon Cover A.

I'll first go over to the 1st cover. In here, the art looks to have been made mostly by pencil. In here, it showed the scene wherein Joe dies and has been given that precious 5 minutes with his love one, Laura. The artist has indeed managed to capture that scene depicting that precious moment, which is a nice event from this issue to be used as the cover. The only downside for me with this cover is the same concerns that I had with the irregular proportions that the artist did to Laura, which I also mentioned on the review of the 1st issue of this comic. It seems strange for me to see Laura, as drawn by Templesmith, to have large hands, which in this case is seen thru the large right hand. I guess it would have been a bit better if the hands were smaller in size. Just the right size or should I say the norm for a woman at the very least, since that is what I had been picturing since it was said over and over in the 1st issue that Laura was really beautiful.

On the other hand, Cover B's art appears to have been made thru the use of watercolors. In here, the scene is a combination of the three characters of the story. It is composed of the angel, whom Joe simply calls as Angel; Laura who appears to be in heaven; and Joe in which he is seen to be holding a gun.

In comparison among the two, I'd say that I prefer cover A more than cover B. It is because of the scene that it highlights for this issue of the comic. It shows the very root of the story despite a plot which involves angels and demons. It shows the unending and undying love of Joe to Laura, in which it is to be regarded literally in this story.

"Love is the only thing worth dying for. I should know. I've done it plenty of times." - Joe Fitzgerald

More of Ten Grand can be seen at:
Joe's Comics: www.studiojms.com
Image Comics, Inc.: www.imagecomics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...